Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chain tool on the cheap

I have been stressing about how to get my old chain off of the bike and get the new one on. I have read all kinds of stuff about making your own tools, using center punches and Dremel tools, but I really wanted a D.I.D. KM501E Chain Tool. They are over $100 and I am only going to change the chain every 8000 miles. I have been searching around for a while and finally came across a knock off on eBay. I was skeptical but I came across this article and the user gave it excellent reviews. I went ahead and ordered it for $45 shipped. I will report on on how good it is here.

When I worked in my father's muffler shop as a teen, he always said I should buy quality tools. Of course this is when he thought I might be a professional mechanic for the rest of my life. I am not a pro wrencher so I have changed my thoughts on this idea. If it's something I will use a lot, like wrenches, I will buy a good set, but a chain breaker/riveter? I will probably use this 3 times in my life so I figured I would save some money and get the knock off. Apologies to D.I.D. if you sponsor this site I will buy your tool. All of this being said, my father has been spotted at Harbor Freight more than once...




No more stressing about odd chain removal methods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home