Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gas tank sealing and other major work.

Mileage: 9448
When I last changed my fuel filter I had noticed that my gas tank had rust inside. This is a common problem of the 900ss from this vintage. There is always a solution and I found one with the POR-15 Cycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit. They make a special gas tank kit that includes all of the chemicals you need to seal a gas tank. I went ahead and ordered it and before it arrived I read the instructions very carefully. Drying time for the sealant was 4 days so I decided I would do a bunch of other work.

I ordered a good assortment of other new parts. If my bike was going to be down I wanted to maximize the downtime by doing other needed work. I ordered RTP teflon coated stainless steel clutch and brake lines off of eBay, the discontinued Cycle Cat DBR2 handlebars (mine were bent) from Oncycles, ProGrip Superbike Model 780 grips and new fairing wellnuts from Desmotimes, and stainless steel fasteners from Desmoparts for all over the bike. I also got the triple clamp powder coated from East Coast Powder Coatings. I also got a used gold clutch master cylinder from Wounded Duc to match the gold brake master cylinder already installed.

Sealing the gas tank took all day. Putting the various chemicals in the tank and waiting between procedures was a long but needed process, but I wanted to be sure it was done right. The instructions said to wait at least 96 hours, but due to my triple clamp being at the powdercoater's I waited double that which reassured me that the sealant had set up properly. I wanted to ride badly but when the work was done it was all worth it. My bike is getting closer to perfect each day...




Work finished with new powdercoated triple clamp and grips.




New bars, lines, clutch master, and stainless hardware




This just won't do - change it all!




After a lot of work - Gas tank sealed and cured.




Common 900ss tank rust.

15 Comments:

Blogger Manifold Pipe Solution Inc. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 13, 2021 at 1:42 AM  
Blogger oshwin said...

I wanted to thank you for this great Information and knowledge, I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to check out the latest stuff you post. Your blog is eye-catching. I get pleasure from it. Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of writing with me, get more information at Difference between A2 and A4 stainless steel fasteners for more Oshwin Overseas related information and knowledge.

January 18, 2021 at 4:08 AM  
Blogger Levi Bryde said...

I'd want to thank you for taking the time to write this post. I'm looking for more of the same from you in the future. EPTX Coatings is an excellent place to search for a part washer.

September 19, 2021 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger FlywheelSupply said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 26, 2021 at 12:36 AM  
Blogger Levi Bryde said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 5, 2021 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Levi Bryde said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 12, 2021 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Vision Alloys said...

I found your blog on Google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. You can also visit A4-70 and A4-80 Stainless Steel Hex Bolt for more Vision Alloys related information and knowledge, Keep up the great work Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

June 28, 2022 at 6:33 AM  
Blogger Sonic Steel said...

Usually, I never comment on blogs but your article about 304L Stainless Steel Band is so impressive that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a fabulous job bro, Keep it up.

June 28, 2022 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Stainless Steel Shim said...

Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. If you want best quality of 304H Stainless Steel Slitting Coil than go with Jainex Steel Impex.

June 28, 2022 at 7:02 AM  
Blogger Yash Shah said...

I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here. You can also visit my blog at Stainless Steel 316L Pipes

June 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger Ranflex Metals said...

Actually I read some of your post and then became very eager to know more about you and it's really interesting to find that you are going great. Keep it up. Please visit to know Cold Formed IS4923 YST240 RHS for more relevant information.

June 28, 2022 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger DC Engineering Products said...

It is an informative piece of guidance provided by you. Very glad to find this information here and I am sure that it is beneficial for Everyone. Please also take a look at STAINLESS STEEL 347/347H FASTENERS.

June 28, 2022 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger abhiraj said...

I have been searching for such an informative publication for many days, and it seems that my search here has just ended. Good job. Continue publishing. For relevant thing visit my blog at T Head Bolts And Nuts.

June 28, 2022 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jayant Chandan said...

I am really impressed with your blog article, such great & useful knowledge you mentioned here. Your post is very informative. For more information you can visit my blog at Flexible Flat Copper Braid.

June 28, 2022 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger abhiraj said...

I would like to say thanks for the wonderful and interesting content that you have provided in this article, and I hope that there will be more articles in the future. If you would like more recent information, you may go to the A4-80 Stainless Steel Fasteners.

January 20, 2023 at 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home