Saturday, May 16, 2009

The very first ride

After letting the battery sit on the Battery Tender, I decided to crank her up and take a short ride. The bike turned over with a beautiful rumble and died. I cranked it again, keeping the choke full on, and it started. I didn't let it warm up too much. I took a short spin down the street and the bike kept stalling. I knew there was work to do on the 900ss to make her a little more streetable. I am willing to do that work and put in the time because to me this bike is so much more than just something to ride. It is a way of life and commitment to the art of maintenance. This idea is illustrated perfectly in a book I read called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I could have easily bought a Honda and a have a much more dependable easy to ride machine, but this bike to me is special. Just like my father's relationship with British sports cars, I too have this desire to tinker and repair. It's genetic I guess. When you maintain a vehicle you become bonded with it and it transcends mere transportation - you know the inner workings. My first ride may have been short but the journey I am embarking on is going to be a very long one as I wrench and repair my way towards happiness. Here's the first video of Lucifina. I know it's a little dark but wanted to catch the first ride on video. You can hear her stalling and popping! I guess I have some tuning to do...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home